I had the pleasure of taking my sister, Chloe, and her boyfriend, Matt, to Grouse Mountain this afternoon so that we could do the Grouse Grind. It was their first trip up the mountain and they did a fantastic job and we had a lot of fun. This Sunday, July 19 at 9am, the SFA team will be travelling up the Grind with any willing participants, we will be giving away some draw prizes at the top, so grab a friend, a family member, or a co-worker and take a hike with us! If you have never done the Grind before or are looking to improve your time try these few tips:
· Use the first 5-8 minutes as a warmup, go at a moderate pace and as you start to warm up you can kick it up a notch
· To quote my teammate Greg Duncan, “don’t Frankenstein your way to the top” use your arms to help generate momentum
· Focus on your breathing, try and maintain a steady cadence as you go
· Plan your next step… you should always know where your left foot is going to go by the time your right foot hits the ground
· Take it ONE step at a time, you can’t reach the top in one step so don’t worry about how much farther it is to the top
· If you think you are going to take more than an hour bring a diluted sports drink (50%water, 50% sports drink) or a little snack to eat at the 60minute mark
· Have fun while you are working hard, the reward at the top is well worth it!
See you at the top!
Josh Neumann, BHK, PTS, TSCC-1